Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Funeral Dress








Today I watched a dear friend bury his dad. The ONLY good thing about funerals, is I always have something to wear. No matter what my size (more on my yo yo dieting issue later), no matter what the season, I have my funeral dress.

My mom bought me this classic Diane Von Furstenberg black wrap dress at Saks in Florida about four or five years ago. She spotted it on a sale rack and asked "do you have a funeral dress?" (umm, what am I 90?- of course not), the dress fit and the rest is history.

The dress is just short of magical. Its comfy, its forgiving, it has this cool feeling against my skin, just like the cold side of the pillow. It looks great with tights and boots or bare legs and pumps. It always seems clean, and it never needs to be ironed. It shows just enough cleavage to brighten up sad situations...don't judge me, it works. And if you don't think everyone loves boobs, explain the pink for breast cancer phenomenon. Magical.

I've worn my dress to bury both my husband's grandpa and my grandpa, my beloved aunt and a few of Ryan's cousins and great aunts. I've thrown it on straight from the beach, the boat, the gym, work and scooted off to countless wakes. Sure I've worn it to work a few times, an engagement party or two, but it's just not the same- something about feeling that knot above my waist, the elegant notched cuff at my wrist and that slightly chilly cleavage just makes me want to hug someone and say "I'm sorry for your loss"...which is just awkward anywhere else but a funeral.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446160157&afsrc=1&site_refer=GGLBASE001&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=ParentItem0475575855575






No comments:

Post a Comment